Centrus acted as financial advisor to the management team and key shareholder of DBE Energy Limited, an anaerobic digestion (AD) plant in Surrey, England. Centrus supported them in securing investment from a fund managed by the Sustainable Private Infrastructure team of Lazard Asset Management. This transaction represents the fund’s inaugural investment in the UK market.
DBE Energy’s state-of-the-art AD plant began receiving local food waste in January 2020 and has the capacity to process 25,000 tonnes of food waste each year to produce up to 2.3 million cubic metres of clean, green, renewable biomethane, providing energy for around 700 average sized family homes per year.
Centrus’s role was to support DBE Energy’s shareholders in securing the right financial partner to support the next phase of their growth as the management aims to diversify revenue lines through carbon capture for the local food and beverage industry, as well as potentially consolidating the food-waste AD sector.
Our services included:
- Developing the business plan and financial model in collaboration with the management team.
- Identifying the right shareholder to pursue DBE Energy’s growth plans from a broad range of financial and strategic investors and negotiating commercial terms supporting DBE Energy shareholders.
Centrus value add:
- A range and depth of relationships with equity investors active across the UK and Europe.
- Expert modelling capabilities and the ability to create a management presentation that best articulates the business plan.
- Experience in structuring complex equity and debt financings in a broad range of sectors for businesses in various stages of growth.
“Centrus supported throughout, actively managing the process from start to finish. The team used their specific sector knowledge and expertise in structuring complex financings to run a sale process. We are delighted with the outcome and look forward to the future in partnership with Lazard Investment Management.”Steve Sharratt, CEO of DBE Energy Ltd
“The AD market in the U.K., despite being one of the most advanced in Europe, is fragmented and thus creates significant potential for consolidation and growth. We are delighted to have completed this investment in DBE Energy, and together with its management team are looking forward to growing this partnership further.”Robert Wall, Head of Sustainable Private Infrastructure – Lazard Asset Management
“It has been a pleasure working with the management and key shareholders of DBE Energy to secure a partner that will drive the future growth of the business. We look forward to continuing to work with the team and new shareholders as they grow their partnership.
The UK anaerobic digestion market continues to be an exciting growth market and will play a significant role in enabling the UK to meet its net zero targets. Centrus has a deep understanding of the UK and European green gas space and are well versed in helping our clients meet their strategic objectives”Terence Amako, Head of M&A and New Energies – Centrus
For more information, please contact Terence.Amako@centrusadvisors.com